The Bryant Law Center is now accepting cases for those with cancer and liver disease caused by high blood pressure and heart failure drugs containing Valsartan. If you or a loved one has taken generic drugs containing Valsartan since 2013 and have since been diagnosed with liver damage, tumors, or cancers call 270-908-0995. Our experienced defective-drug lawyers and staff are available to answer your questions.
What is Valsartan?
Valsartan is a generic prescription medication mainly used to treat high blood pressure and in some instances congestive heart failure. The brand name medication sold as Diovan is safe.
However, starting in about 2013-14, generic marketers began sourcing pills from overseas laboratories in China and India. Contamination directly originating from those overseas laboratories caused their formulations to be contaminated with either N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) and/or N-Nitrosodiethylamine (NDEA). Both of these chemicals are suspected to be human and animal carcinogens.
The FDA says the recall does not affect all valsartan-containing drugs. The recall involves valsartan supplied by Zhejiang Huahai Pharmaceuticals, Hetero Labs Limited, and Zhejiang Tianyu.The complete listing of companies and drugs involved are:
- Major Pharmaceuticals (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA) – Valsartan 80 mg and 160 mg products
- Solco Healthcare (Prinson Pharmaceuticals) – Valsartan 40 mg, 80 mg, 160 mg, and 320 mg; and Valsartan/HCTZ 80 mg/12.5 mg, 160 mg/12.5 mg, 160 mg/25 mg, 320 mg/12.5 mg, and 320 mg/25 mg products
- Actavic (Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd.) – Valsartan 40 mg, 80 mg, 160 mg, and 320 mg; and Valsartan/HCTZ 80 mg/12.5 mg,160 mg/12.5 mg, 160 mg/25 mg, 320 mg/12.5 mg, and 320 mg/25 mg products
- AvKARE – Valsartan/HCTZ 80 mg/12.5 mg, 160mg/12.5 mg, 320 mg/12.5 mg, 160 mg/25 mg, and 320 mg/25 mg products
- Remedy Repack Inc. (Prinston/SOLCO) – Valsartan/HCTZ 320 mg/12.5 mg and 160 mg/12.5 mg products
- A-S Medication Solutions LLC – Valsartan 80 mg/90 count, 80 mg/30 count, 160 mg/90 count, 160 mg/30 count, Valsartan/HCTZ 160 mg/12.5 mg/30 count, 160 mg/12.5mg/90 count, 320 mg/25mg/30 count products
- Bryant Ranch Prepack Inc. – Valsartan 80 mg/28 count, 80 mg/60 count, 80 mg/90 count, 320 mg/28 count, 320 mg/30 count, 320 mg/90 count, 320mproducts
- H J Harkins Company Inc. dba Pharma Pac – Valsartan 160 mg/90 count product
- Proficient Rx LP – Valsartan/HCTZ 320 mg/12.5 product
- Northwind Pharmaceuticals – Valsartan 80 mg/30 count, 160 mg/30 count, 320 mg/30 count, Valsartan/HCTZ 160 mg/12.5 mg products
- Camber Pharmaceuticals, Inc. – Valsartan 40 mg/30 count, 80 mg/90 count, 160 mg/90 count, 320 mg/90 count products
- NuCare Pharmaceuticals Inc. – Valsartan/HCTZ 160 mg/12.5 mg, 60 mg/25 mg, 320 mg/25 mg
- RemedyRepack, Inc. (Hetero/Camber) – Valsartan 80 mg/90 count, 160 mg/90 count, 320 mg/90 count product
- AvKARE (Hetero/Camber) – Valsartan 40 mg, 80 mg, 160 mg, 320 mg, 320 mg/90 count products
- Preferred Pharmaceuticals, Inc. – Valsartan 320 mg/90 count product
- Torrent Pharmaceuticals Limited – Amlodipine/Valsartan/HCTZ 10 mg/320 mg/25 mg/30 count, 10 mg/160 mg/25 mg/90 count, 5 mg/16 0mg/12.5 mg/30 count, 10 mg/160 mg/12.5 mg/30 count, 5 mg/160 mg/25 mg/30 count, Amlodipine and Valsartan 5 mg/160 mg/30 count, 10 mg/160 mg/30 count, 10 mg/320 mg/30 count, 5 mg/320 mg/30 count, Valsartan 80 mg/90 count, 160 mg/90 count, 320 mg/90 count products
- RemedyRepack, Inc. (Torrent) – Amlodipine/Valsartan/HCTZ 10 mg/320 mg/25 mg product
We have carefully assessed the valsartan-containing medications sold in the United States, and we’ve found that the valsartan sold by these specific companies does not meet our safety standards. This is why we’ve asked these companies to take immediate action to protect patients,” said in a FDA Safety Announcement by Dr. Janet Woodcock, director of Center for Drug Evaluation and Research at the FDA
What are the health risks associated with Valsartan?
Experts say that even short-term exposure to NDMA can cause liver damage and that long-term exposure can put consumers at an increased risk of developing a number of life-threatening cancers:
- liver cancer
- gastric cancer
- colorectal cancer
- kidney cancer
What types of damages could I recover from being injured by Valsartan?
- Current and future medical expenses.
- Pain and emotional suffering associated with injuries you received.
- Any money you lost from missing work and other economic losses caused by drug-related injuries.
- Any other injuries or damages that a court or jury could consider appropriate.
What should I do if I believed I consumed this recalled medication?
You may receive a letter from your pharmacy benefit manager or your pharmacist which will alert you. If you were not notified, it’s possible you were taking a brand that is not impacted by the recall.
If you were not alerted, contact your physician and your pharmacy. If you have unused medication, preserve it and clearly mark it as recalled medication because it may be needed to help prove your case. Do not stop taking this or any medication until you consult your physician.
The Bryant Law Center has a proven track record of holding drug and medical device manufacturers accountable for injuries sustained by our clients and getting them the compensation they deserve. If you or a loved one has suffered injuries from taking generic prescription drugs containing Valsartan call 270-908-0995 or fill out the contact form. There is NO COST until we win your case.
*At settlement court costs and case expenses will be the responsibility of the client.