The death of a Florida infant after he ate a laundry detergent pod highlights the potential dangers of the packets.

The baby boy, who police said was less than a year old, was a resident at a battered women’s shelter in Kissimmee, Fla. The shelter hands out laundry detergent packets individually to residents, according to police.

“The mother took the laundry detergent packets, put them in the laundry basket, which was on the bed, and the child was sleeping on the bed,” Kissimmee Police Department spokeswoman Stacie Miller told ABCNews.com.

“She left the room for a brief moment to have a conversation with one of the staff members, and when she came back, the child was eating the laundry detergent packet,” Miller said.

Read more at ABC News.